Do’s and Don’ts During The Loan Process
- Continue to make all of your monthly payments on time (including those that are in dispute).
- Pay off as many debts as you can, but avoid closing any of your revolving credit accounts (such as credit cards).
- Save as much money as you can toward your down payment.The larger your down payment, the better!
- Take into account your current spending levels and housing expenses when evaluating how much you want to spend for your new home.
- Hold off on making any signifcant career moves or changing your pay structure (such as transitioning from a salaried position to a 100% commission job).
- Resist the temptation to make any big purchase using either existing credit cards or new lines of credit.
- Avoid making unusual deposits or transfers into your checking and savings accounts, and check with your lender to learn how to properly document any gift funds you receive.
- Don't just get pre-qualified for a mortgage. Get pre-approved because this will improve your negotiating leverage and buying power.